Astellas Pharma Scientist II/Sr. Scientist, Vascular Progenitors in Westborough, Massachusetts
The Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Astellas Pharma and focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. Astellas is an R&D-driven global pharmaceutical company whose philosophy is to contribute to the improvement of people's heath around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
AIRM has a world-class R&D team, and is pursuing a diverse range of disease indications, ranging from macular degeneration (currently in clinical trials) and other ocular indications to vascular and autoimmune disease. AIRM's intellectual property portfolio includes pluripotent stem cell platforms -- both embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells as well as other cell based therapy research programs. AIRM is headquartered in Marlborough, Massachusetts.
Astellas is announcing a Scientist II/Sr. Scientist, Vascular Progenitors opportunity at their affiliate Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) in Westborough, MA.
The scientist develops strategy and technologies to perform experiments and analytical procedures, applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts. The scientist coordinates research efforts and makes key technical contribution affecting the direction of the group and/or project. The scientist applies expertise and breadth of knowledge to ongoing research and development of new project proposals.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Maintain multiple PSC lines and routinely perform differentiation into mesodermal and vascular lineages
- Viral transduction/engineering of pluripotent stem cell lines and/or their derivatives
- Perform in vitro assays, data collection, analysis, and interpret results (e.g. flow cytometry, CyTOF, ICC, cell imaging, confocal microscopy, ELISA, RT-PCR) to characterize vascular progenitor populations and derivatives thereof
- Formulate and implement processes ensuring preservation of cellular quality attributes
- Stay up to date on relevant literature and help manage external collaborations
- Develop and adhere to SOPs and workflows with proper documentation
- Ph.D. with 3+ years post-degree laboratory experience in vascular progenitor cell biology, stem cell biology, developmental biology, cell biology, immunology or related biological life sciences
- Experience with human pluripotent stem cell culture (ESC or iPSC) and differentiation
- Working knowledge of preclinical animal models of human vascular diseases (for example, SuHx & MCT models for PAH, HLI model for CLI etc.)
- Working knowledge of various in vitro assays for vascular cell characterization
- Solid working knowledge of molecular and cell biology techniques and signaling pathways governing vascular progenitor cell differentiation
- Excellent written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and collaborate within a team-based environment
- Expertise on extracellular vesicle characterization
- Expertise on cell characterization through new technologies such as microfluidic device etc
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development