Astellas Pharma Senior/Principal Research Associate, Translational Development in Westborough, Massachusetts
The Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Astellas Pharma and focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. Astellas is an R&D-driven global pharmaceutical company whose philosophy is to contribute to the improvement of people's heath around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
AIRM has a world-class R&D team, and is pursuing a diverse range of disease indications, ranging from macular degeneration (currently in clinical trials) and other ocular indications to vascular and autoimmune disease. AIRM's intellectual property portfolio includes pluripotent stem cell platforms -- both embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells as well as other cell based therapy research programs. AIRM is headquartered in Marlborough, Massachusetts.
Astellas is announcing a Senior/Principal Research Associate, Translational Development opportunity at their Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) site in Westborough, MA.
We are seeking a highly motivated and energetic Research Associate to join the Translational Development team. This person will assist with process development projects in collaboration with other members of our group, maintain accurate records and perform routine laboratory duties such as restocking supplies, ordering and equipment maintenance. On-the-job training for specific operations will be provided, but a strong background in mammalian cell culture as well as a high level of scientific curiosity are a must.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Understands and effectively conducts biological laboratory experiments utilizing internal and published procedures
- Assists with cell culture of various cell lines including pluripotent cells using specified protocols
- Assists with handling, recording and maintaining documentation for biospecimens and clinical samples
- May design and independently conduct experiments with minimal guidance from manager
- Maybe involved in developing new process or assays using cell culture and analytical methods
- Maintains records in notebook, batch records and electronic format according to Company policies
- Contributes to preparation of technical reports and result summaries
- Ensures availability of all experimental materials
- Understands the proper use and maintenance of laboratory equipment and record keeping
- Contributes to general laboratory and equipment maintenance
- MS with 2+ years, or exceptional BS with 5+ years relevant laboratory experience
- Impeccable aseptic techniques
- Solid working knowledge of cell culture with adherent mammalian cell lines
- Hands on experience with RNA/DNA isolation, RT-PCR, immunostaining, flow cytometry, microscopy
- Proven ability to efficiently learn new skills
- Ability to maintain accurate records and effectively manage multiple projects
- Excellent communication skills
- Scientific curiosity
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work flexible schedule including weekends
- Experience with stem cells including pluripotent cells
- Experience with primary cells
- Experience with process or assay development
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled Category Research and Development